This blog is dedicated to the biggest scum in all of sports. The ones who have too much power and abuse it. The ones who attempt not to be biased, but blantantly are. The ones with hidden agendas. The ones we call umpires. The ones we call judges. The ones we call referees. Yes, This blog is dedicated to the officials who often sabotage the past times we know and love.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Floyd Landis found Guilty

Guilty Landis will lose 2006 Tour title

I'm sure most have heard of the the case, so I won't bother with linking too many stories from the past year. The news has been pretty quiet about it since the hearing a few months ago. But today the verdict was made public and the results will force Landis to give up his 2006 Tour de France title.

I'm personally shocked. When I followed the hearing, I really didn't see how the USADA had a leg to stand on considering the sloppy lab techniques and the fact that I don't think the French can swallow the idea of a 2nd American dominating their sport. Nearly half of the interviews from French officials simply referred to him as "The American". The French people are most likely happy with the ruling, but doesn't this really give the whole sport of cycling a big black eye?

Hopefully, Floyd will do all he can to appeal this, and I'm sure he will considering the time and effort put into this so far. I doubt he'd give up now. I'm shocked that the panel of arbitration for the hearing only consisted of 3 members and that a 2 to 1 ruling was enough to find him guilty.

2 comments:

Charles L. Wallace said...

Floyd DOES have an appeal process to follow, and I think he will do so. He won on the course, and I think he will win again. [not in the court of opinion, though, where EVERY rider seems to be suspect these days - I think you are right in perceiving an anti-American bias at work, too :-(]

saucy said...

he can appeal through the court of arbitration for sport (CAS). Supposedly, it's pretty tough to have them overturn the ruling of a case (only happened 3 times), but I have a feeling this may be one of those cases.

seriously though, 3 people on the 'panel of experts'? 3?

just checked out floyd's site. http://www.floydfairnessfund.org/the-case.php
it's put together pretty well.